A town with two locations and multiple names, Edinburg today is the seat of Hidalgo County. Edinburgh, Texas (now known as Hidalgo) was first established on the Rio Grande River by shopkeeper John Young, who was originally from Edinburgh, Scotland. In 1852, Hidalgo County was formed, and Edinburgh became the county seat. In 1908, the changing course of the river threatened to flood the courthouse, resulting in a small but contentious countywide election about where to move the courthouse. Under armed guard, John Closner and other victors of the election led a hurried move by oxcart through the brush to the undeveloped townsite of Chapin. Dennis Chapin lost his good name and reputation in 1911, and as a result, the town became Edinburg (without the h). Today Edinburg is recognized for its location as a gateway city and as the home of the University of Texas-Pan American. Edinburg residents' pride in their town has shown throughout the years, from beautifying the courthouse square to being named an All-America City three times by the National Civic League.In 1968, the Region One Education Service Center was established in Edinburg. The center began when Harold Dooley, an Edinburg school administrator and director for the Elementary and Secondary Education Act Title III Project, foresaw anbsp;...
|Publisher||:||Arcadia Publishing - 2011|