Established in 1872, Garrett, Maryland's westernmost county, was the last county created in the state and is named for John Work Garrett, then president of the Baltimore a Ohio Railroad. The images presented here were selected with care from the author's collection of several thousand postcards. Featured are Garrett's numerous towns and communities; downtown business scenes; residential views; historic buildings, churches, railroad stations; and the great resort hotels. Also included are the county's many historic and natural landmarks, rustic scenes, the Deep Creek Lake area, and varied sites along the historic National Road. A special element is the inclusion of many of the personal messages sent on the back of the postcards.Albert L. Feldstein. the Deep Creek Lake Bridge. Deep Creek was purchased in 1942 by the Pennsylvania Electric Company, with the state of Maryland leasing and managing the buffer strip and lake. In early 2000, the state of Maryland officially agreed to purchase the lake and adjoining properties for $17.6 million. The sender of this postcard writes, aGreetings from the Arnold House at Mountain Lake.
|Author||:||Albert L. Feldstein|
|Publisher||:||Arcadia Publishing - 2006-06-07|