Susquehanna University's history from 1858 to 2000 has occurred in three stages, each expressing a different mission. The school was founded in 1858 as the Missionary Institute of the Evangelical Lutheran Church to fulfill the vision of the Rev. Benjamin Kurtz, a Lutheran cleric and editor of the Lutheran Observer. He was a partisan of the American Lutheran viewpoint caught up in a fratricidal battle with Lutheran orthodoxy. The Missionary Institute sustained his viewpoint in the preparation, gratis, of men called to preach the gospel in foreign and home missions. A complementary purpose was to educate young people in Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania at both the Institute and its sister school, the Susquehanna Female College. When the Female College folded in 1873, the Institute became coeducational.It pictured representative football players climbing the aquot;unbeaten and untiedaquot; mountain. At the top was a University of Southern California player, a little farther down were players from Dartmouth and the ... During the 1960s Susquehanna University changed dramatically, with an enlarged student body, faculty, andanbsp;...
|Title||:||Susquehanna University, 1858-2000|
|Author||:||Donald D. Housley|
|Publisher||:||Susquehanna University Press - 2007|