qOne of three jet bombers that formed the RAF's V-Force in the early years of the Cold War, the Victor was perhaps the most technologically advanced of the trio. Designed as the HP 80, the aircraft flew smoothly at altitude like a knife through butter. First flown on Christmas Eve 1952, the Victor entered service in B 1 configuration in November 1957. Further improvements were introduced with the B 2, which was optimised for high altitude performance with bigger Rolls-Royce Conway engines and more wing area. Most B 2s were equipped to carry the Blue Steel stand-off missile, but eight were modified in the strategic reconnaissance role because the Victor 2 was then the longest-ranging aircraft in the RAF. The Victor ceased to be a low-level bomber after the nuclear mission was taken over by the Royal Navy's Polaris submarine force in the late 1960s. Thereafter, Victor 1s and 2s continued in frontline service as airborne tankers, supporting operations in defence of the UK and around the world (the Falklands War and Desert Storm being just two examples), until the last Victor flight took place on 30 November 1993.q--P.  of cover.Please dona#39;t upload this pdf to a peer-to-peer site, email it to everyone you know, ... A special high test peroxide (storable)/kerosene rocket motor named the Stentor was built by Armstrong Siddeley at Coventry to power the weapon.
|Title||:||Victor Units of the Cold War|
|Publisher||:||Osprey Publishing - 2011|